Friday, April 28, 2023

Gods of Our Own Planet!

 


I found the above video in which David Alexander, a recent convert to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from Evangelicalism, spends nearly an hour trying to defend the doctrine that we become “gods of our own planet!” (He begins by admitting that he is not sure that it is an official teaching of the Church, but in the rest of his message he indirectly tries to defend it.) First, I would like to congratulate him on his conversion; he has made the right decision. I also admire his enthusiasm and commitment to defending the Church’s beliefs, doctrines, and teachings. But I should inform him that it is not a doctrine of the Church that we become “gods of our own planet!” That may be part of LDS folklore; or more likely, something that has been spun out by the critics. But it is not a genuine, sound, LDS doctrine. LDS theology does indeed teach that those who are exalted to the celestial kingdom of God are deified; they become divine; they become gods:


Doctrine and Covenants 132:


20 Then shall they be gods, because they have no end; therefore shall they be from everlasting to everlasting, because they continue; then shall they be above all, because all things are subject unto them. Then shall they be gods, because they have all power, and the angels are subject unto them.


Which is indeed also confirmed in the Bible:


John 17:


20 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;

21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.

22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:


1 John 3:


2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.


2 Peter 1:


3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:

4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.


But nowhere is it said that they become “gods of their own planet”. LDS scripture teaches that those who are so exalted in the celestial kingdom of God, receive all that the Father has:


Doctrine and Covenants 84:


37 And he that receiveth me receiveth my Father;

38 And he that receiveth my Father receiveth my Father’s kingdom; therefore all that my Father hath shall be given unto him.


Who wants to be “god of their own planet,” when they can have all that the Father has? Does he know how many planets God the Father has created? I wouldn’t recommend him to try to count them! Who wants to be “god of their own planet,” when they can have all the planets that God has created? There is no LDS scripture that says that we become “gods of our own planet”. My recommendation to him is to try to obtain his knowledge of LDS theology and doctrine directly from LDS scripture, rather than from LDS folklore—or worse still, from what is spun out by the Evangelicals and the critics. The advice that the Lord gave to Hyrum Smith, Joseph Smith’s brother, in section 11 of the Doctrine and Covenants, is appropriate here. This revelation was given to Joseph Smith in May 1829. That was before the Church was organized, and while the Book of Mormon was still being translated:


Doctrine and Covenants 11:


21 Seek not to declare my word, but first seek to obtain my word, and then shall your tongue be loosed; then, if you desire, you shall have my Spirit and my word, yea, the power of God unto the convincing of men.

22 But now hold your peace; study my word which hath gone forth among the children of men, and also study my word which shall come forth among the children of men, or that which is now translating, yea, until you have obtained all which I shall grant unto the children of men in this generation, and then shall all things be added thereto.


That is a good advice to follow. LDS theology is ultimately obtained from LDS scripture. He already seems to have a good familiarity with the Bible, due to his Evangelical background. I recommend him to obtain the same familiarity with the modern scriptures of the Church, and to obtain his knowledge of LDS theology and doctrine directly from them, rather than indirectly from unauthorized sources.


No comments: