Monday, January 29, 2024

How Can a Finite Mind Know an Infinite God

 


More interesting questions from William Lane Craig; here is the transcript:


“I think it’s certainly true that no finite mind can fully comprehend God. He is beyond our full grasp. But that doesn’t imply that we cannot have accurate partial knowledge of God. In fact I don’t have an idea of all of your essential properties, when you think about it, and yet I have a partial and clear grasp of some of them that enable me to relate to you. And I think the same is true of God; we may not fully comprehend him as finite human beings, but we partially do, and do so accurately.”


A more accurate answer to that question would be that scripture (including modern LDS scripture) speaks of three different levels of the “knowledge” of God. The first is knowledge about God, as he has chosen to reveal it to us in scripture. That is a knowledge of his character, perfections, glory, and attributes. The second is knowing God personally, as he may choose to reveal himself to us individually on a personal level, as he did to the ancient prophets and patriarchs. That is a higher level of “knowing God,” than just knowing about God. It is knowing God personally, like a friend. That is how Abraham, Moses, and other ancient prophets and patriarchs came to know God; examples given in my previous blog post. Indeed, Jesus describes salvation and eternal life in terms of “knowing God”:


John 17:


3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.


This is a lot more than just knowing about God. It is knowing God on a personal level, like a friend. And then there is a third level of the knowledge of God; and that is to fully comprehend God, in all his infinite capacity, glory, and fullness. That is also possible in the next life, to those who achieve salvation and exaltation in the celestial kingdom of God, and are deified, and acquire divine attributes themselves:


Doctrine and Covenants 88:


49 The light shineth in darkness, and the darkness comprehendeth it not; nevertheless, the day shall come when you shall comprehend even God, being quickened in him and by him.

50 Then shall ye know that ye have seen me, that I am, and that I am the true light that is in you, and that you are in me; otherwise ye could not abound.


Also the following, from the book of Moses:


Moses 1:


1 The words of God, which he spake unto Moses at a time when Moses was caught up into an exceedingly high mountain,

2 And he saw God face to face, and he talked with him, and the glory of God was upon Moses; therefore Moses could endure his presence.

3 And God spake unto Moses, saying: Behold, I am the Lord God Almighty, and Endless is my name; for I am without beginning of days or end of years; and is not this endless?

4 And, behold, thou art my son; wherefore look, and I will show thee the workmanship of mine hands; but not all, for my works are without end, and also my words, for they never cease.

5 Wherefore, no man can behold all my works, except he behold all my glory; and no man can behold all my glory, and afterwards remain in the flesh on the earth.


That level of comprehension about God is also possible in the next life, to those who achieve the highest degree of celestial glory. That is the correct theology of knowing God, as well as knowing about God, as revealed in ancient as well as in modern LDS scripture.


No comments: